Friday, July 15, 2016

How music became my Prince Charming

The Importance of Songs in my life

My life is a very complicated life, just like everybody's. I need to cope up with parental pressure, peer pressure (though I do not have many peers left now) , I need to obtain good marks etcetera. Once upon time, I had some very good hobbies. I danced and sang. I played with my friends and remained out of the house for most of my time. But gradually, my whole life started narrowing down to obtaining good marks and securing my career. At this moment, I have no talent left except of studying and a little bit debating. I seriously grieve my dancing skills and reminiscence about them all the time. But the only haven still open for me is music. Being an Indian, I was always fascinated with songs all over the world. I think something was wrong with me since I couldn't relate with the Bollywood songs at all. They were too useless and tacky and too romantic for me. I guess , in class eighth, I became hooked to English songs. At first, it was a way to show off how many English songs I knew and all my classmates used to look at me with wonder in their eyes. But slowly, when the hormones in my teenage years started working from their dormant stage, I started picking fights with everybody including my parents. Those three years were a nightmare. I used to distance myself from everybody. I was a teenager, I needed my privacy. And privacy is one thing Indian Parents are known for not giving. With my earplugs in my ears and music on full blast, I cried at night. And thank god for those songs, they actually helped me calm down most of the nights and slowly lulled me to sleep. Now, it's a lot more personal. I started relating to some songs on a spiritual level. Listening to music evoked different emotions in me and the world became a better place. It did not look that horrible now, the people weren't that selfish now and I started to be more happy. When I fell in love for the first time ( oh how much I regret it now) , the song 'Mr. Loverboy' by Little Mix became my soul anthem. The time I felt demotivated, "Try Everything" by Shakira put me on my feet back again. Recently was my physics exam, and I wasn't prepared for it at all. The night before my exam, I got an anxiety attack and I didn't tell anybody. My heart started beating crazy and I felt dizzy. That's where the song "Here's to Us" by Ellie Goulding stepped in. Music has been a very important part of my life since I cannot tell my parents about my problems because they simply won't understand them. They won't get what I am going through. They will just classify it as " just another hormone change". Sorry but ma and papa, nothing is wrong with me. I am not going through a hormonal change. I just need you. And when you are not there for me, I have music with me. But,I still love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment